Thursday, November 4, 2010

Satsang with Param Pujya Gurdev - 12th Dec 1987

Hari Om Everyone!  Diwali Greetings to all!  Its been a long break but I shall attempt to get back to some sharing of precious moments with Great Masters...

Sat 12 Dec 1987 (taken from my diary of those days)

A very memorable day for me... many years ago of course now...  I was still a student of Physiotherapy then and used to go for the Adult Study Classes with mum to Kamdar Amma's house in Breach Candy.  I was the kid of the class!  That evening was the Geeta Class.  I had the loosies but still decided to go for the class.  Didn't want to miss out...  Reached  Amma's place with mum and was most pleasantly surprised when told that there would be no class as Param Pujya Gurudev was there at Amma's place!  Can you imagine the state of my mind.  Obviously I was simply thrilled and could have jumped for joy!

Pujya Gurudev entered the Hall, I prostrated and sat right at Pujya Gurudev's feet.  He started.  My mind was totally with my Gurudev and I know almost throughout the talk Pujya Gurudev's gaze was fixed on me (we all like to imagine this I guess!).  I felt that he was talking only to me.  I was no longer aware of the presence of others around me.  Gist of the talk now follows:

Pujya Gurudev started by telling us to remember that whatever we have - our body - diseased or healthy, our mind, our intellect - sharp or dull - everything is a gift from the Lord.  This is something we must never forget.  The Lord is the Giver and we the recipients, are His slaves.  When the son is dependant on the father, he has to do as his father says and abide by his wishes.  Similarly a sub-ordinate has to carry out the demands of his boss.  If the wife is the bread winner, the husband who is dependant on her is no longer the boss.  When the son grows and earns and supports his parents, though the parents say that he is the same naughty kid to them, they do have awe and respect for him.  In all situations the giver is always the boss and the recipient his slave.  We must always learn to give.  Whatever we have from the Lord must be utilised to its best extent and given back to the Lord, so that the Lord becomes the recipient.  When a child is giving chocolate to his father, however well dressed or important a status the father has, he must bend down and eat the chocolate despite the fact that it doesn't look tempting.  After eating he will even thank his child.  Similarly, whatever we do, if done well the Lord will accept and thank us.  Arjuna in the 1st chapter of the Geeta was in a terrible state.  He wasn't willing to give the best in him and therefore, he became and considered himself a slave.  The most important thing for all of us is to do our duty and to do it well.

I must say this lesson was most pertinent to me in those days.  I guess it still is.  But the message was strong and most appropriate for me.  It hit me strong.  I was after all studying to become a health professional.

I know we all have heard this very often and are aware of Pujya Gurudev's quote too on this topic - 'What we have is a gift from the Lord.  What we do with what we have is our gift to Him'.  But I still thought I would share this, as all moments with the Great Master are precious....  Following this brief satsang, two questions were asked.  The first was asked by one of the ladies present and the second by myself.  They will follow in due course...

Till then let us all learn to become givers and most importantly give ourselves totally to the Lord...  The joy of giving...

More to come...

mk


Questions asked to Pujya Gurudev

Q1
One of the ladies present asked Pujya Gurudev a question.  She said that when she starts chanting her mind wanders away and she finds it difficult to bring her mind to concentrate on the mantra.  Gurudev replied saying that it is important for us at that time to raise our volume (mentally).  The chanting should be so loud that the mind is totally concentrating on that and can't wander.  Once this is done then we must try and meditate on the meaning of the mantra as well.

Great practical tips from the Master Himself.  I am sure all of us know all this but still it is a great reminder for me atleast... 

Now my question...

Q2
My question was that Arjuna was on the battle field and therefore, we can conclude that it was his duty to fight.  Also Lord Krishna was there to directly instruct Arjuna.  However, sometimes we are in such a dilemma that we are unable to decide what exactly is our duty.

Pujya Gurudev's answer most practical and useful.  I have used it many times. 

If we have to make a choice we must sit down and think.  While deciding, if we feel that there will come a time in the future when we will regret our decision, then we must not do it.  If we will not regret it, then we must definitely go ahead with what we have decided.

What an amazing day for me...  My heart was simply bubbling with joy.  Pujya Gurudev had this magical effect every time on me and if anything the pull became stronger after every meeting.  He often used to joke and call me all sorts of names implying that I was a gone case!  Well now I am happily trying to be totally gone!  I can only smile and close my eyes and thank the Lord for His Grace and Blessings...

mk

6 comments:

  1. I just LOVE what you share, it comes straight from the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Ika... I have loved experiencing every moment and then sharing all of it too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not heard this story before. Sometimes word-pictures are much much better than a photo can show. One could visualise the scene.

    Since I never was fortunate enough to go any closer than 10 meters to the Master (except to take Yajna prasad) this and such accounts are invaluable means to see Him from a close distance. And what a way he had to come down to the level of those around Him and then do the talking!

    looking forward to "More to come..."

    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. your question and Gurudev's answer has helped me in making the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Manisha di....I loved reading your post...

    ReplyDelete